Sophia Amoruso, author of #GirlBoss and founder of Nasty Gal says “a girl boss is someone who has big dreams and is willing to work hard for them. So being a girl boss is really about being the boss of your own life”. It seems lately the term “girl boss” has become synonymous with “feminism” which is totally okay with me because so many girls are afraid to be labeled a “feminist”, but this movement makes them feel okay to stand up for themselves, to seek equality and to hustle.
I like to consider myself a girl boss, but that’s not to say that some days I don’t feel stuck wondering how I’ll ever become as successful as Sheryl Sandberg or Indra Nooyi. It also doesn’t mean that some days I’m not emotional and a mess and completely unfocused. So, I’ve found that it helps to keep some quotes from the greats as daily reminders and I’m here to share them with you, so you can stay motivated to hustle, take risks and step up to the challenge…whatever that challenge may be.
1. We hold ourselves back in ways both big and small, by lacking self-confidence, by not raising our hands, and by pulling back when we should be leaning in. -Sheryl Sandberg
2. You must do the things you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt
3. You create the world, blink by blink. It is entirely yours to discover and yours to create. -Sophia Amoruso
4. What would you do if you weren’t afraid? –Sheryl Sandberg
5. Stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be. -Elizabeth Gilbert
6. She believed she could, so she did. -R.S. Grey
7. A woman is the full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture and transform. –Diane Mariechild
8. Courage is like a muscle. We strengthen it by use. -Ruth Gordon
9. Power is not given to you. You have to take it. -Beyonce
10. It’s not brave to do something that doesn’t scare you. -Lena Dunham
11. Life is tough my darling, but so are you. -Stephanie Bennett-Henry
12. Nothing will work unless you do. -Maya Angelou
13. Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will. -Suzy Kassem
14. Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -Harriet Beecher Stowe
15. Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. This is your moment. Own it. -Oprah Winfrey
In your twenties, it can be hard to stay motivated to work towards your dreams, but these are the years we really need to be grinding it out. If you’ve been feeling stuck or discouraged lately, literally, print these out and put them up somewhere you’re going to see them everyday (your office/cubicle/refrigerator/etc.).
What are your favorite motivational quotes?
C’est la vie,