20 Ways My Soulmate and I are Complete Opposites and Why That’s Okay

opposite soulmate (1).png

When looking for love, you always hear that you should find someone you are compatible with and someone you share interests with. We stress the importance of being alike… liking the same things, enjoying the same things, etc. Many times I’ve heard friends who really like a guy decide it’s just not going to work because they’re so different from each other. While yes, you want to make sure you can get along and cohabitate with your significant other, sometimes being different can be really beautiful. I can honestly say my husband is my soulmate and we couldn’t be more different. Literally, here’s 20 ways we are complete opposites.

1. He loves hunting, I cry when I run over a baby squirrel

14. He has a black lab, I have a less than 5 pound Chihuahua

15. He likes comfortable and casual, I love dress up affairs

16. He has a ton of common sense, I’m more book smart

17. He tends to live life as it comes, I worry, overanalyze and plan to the max

18. He loves to cook, I love ordering in

19. He cleans quickly, I clean thoroughly

20. He shows love through service, I show love through touch and words of affirmation

11048615_10153668278830821_4211320487602979477_o

Phew… what a list! We are incredibly different, but it works. You know why? Being different pushes us to be better. Having different political beliefs forces us to do more research and to better understand our stance so we can argue it out. His love to cook keeps me from eating out too much. My book smarts work well for finances and leases and marriage paperwork, while his common sense and handy skills are helpful with road trips and home maintenance. We complement each other really well and it makes our relationship so much more fun. I’m not saying everyone should date their opposite… it’s not for everyone, but don’t rule a potential future lover out just because they’re different than you. That could be the one thing that makes them truly perfect for you.

They say opposites attract, sometimes… they also fall in love.

C’est la vie,

Anna

Advertisements

26 thoughts on “20 Ways My Soulmate and I are Complete Opposites and Why That’s Okay

1. The No Drama Mama says:

When I first met my husband I almost ran for the hills. We were total opposites (or so I thought). But the more I got to know him, the more I realized that our core values were the same. We also have the same primary love language – quality time. But I love that we’re different too. We fill in the gaps in each other. There are plenty of days I wish I could crawl in his skin and be as confident as he is. I know he also needs the nurturing and affection I give him. It’s true what you’re saying, never dismiss someone out of hand because you think they’re too different from you. I wouldn’t be married to my best friend and a great man if I did.

• annamullikinfreeman says:

I LOVE hearing this! I do think there are some crucial things that make us connect like practicing the same religion and both coming from two-parent homes, but sometimes I wonder how we get along at all with how different we are! Thank you for sharing… hopefully we’ll be just as successful in our marriage as you guys have been. πŸ™‚

2. Onlygirl4boyz says:

This is seriously my husband and I from the way we do things, how we grew up and so much more but, we balance each other out for sure. I would hate to be married to someone like me. LOL

3. lesleysullivan4 says:

My husband and I are like night and day, we couldn’t be more opposite. But because of our differences we literally complete one another. Things that I overlook, he reminds me of- and vise versa. Eight years, two kids, and four states later…I wouldn’t change a thing πŸ™‚

4. Brittany says:

Wow, it looks like this really resonated with people! It did for me too. This pretty much describes my fiance and I to a T. But you know, it’s better this way. If we were too similar, we’d have the same flaws. You have friends for that. πŸ˜‰ Your life partner should complement and balance your flaws.

• annamullikinfreeman says:

I know! I can’t believe how many people have similar dynamics in their relationship. I’ve always heard you need to date/marry someone who is similar to you, so I was surprised to hear others also married their opposite also! πŸ™‚

5. Maintaining Me says:

My husband and I are completely opposite in a lot of ways but I think that’s one of the reasons we work so well together! Great article!

• annamullikinfreeman says:

Thanks so much! Of course after I posted it we thought of even more differences like the fact that he likes to leave all of our doors unlocked, while I keep this place locked down like Fort Knox! haha Thanks for reading.

6. Jennifer says:

My husband and I are complete opposites, too! After we got married, people kept saying to me they never expected me to marry someone like him. That’s how opposite we are. But somehow we work. I asked my husband once if it ever bothered him that we’re so different from each other and he told me no because it keeps things interesting. Lol!

• annamullikinfreeman says:

That is too funny! I will never forget a couple weeks before we got married, my husband and I got into a heated debate about politics in an Uber and the Uber driver said… and you two are getting married? good luck! I’ll never forget that! haha

7. happilyevergriedls says:

This is too funny… you and I are so much alike and our hubs are too! Holds in emotion- I have it all over my face.. umm yes! I need to watch myself sometimes πŸ™‚ And just about every other thing you listed!

Give me some feedback!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s