When looking for love, you always hear that you should find someone you are compatible with and someone you share interests with. We stress the importance of being alike… liking the same things, enjoying the same things, etc. Many times I’ve heard friends who really like a guy decide it’s just not going to work because they’re so different from each other. While yes, you want to make sure you can get along and cohabitate with your significant other, sometimes being different can be really beautiful. I can honestly say my husband is my soulmate and we couldn’t be more different. Literally, here’s 20 ways we are complete opposites.
1. He loves hunting, I cry when I run over a baby squirrel
2. He’s a staunch Republican, I refuse to identify with a political party
3. He loves trying new foods, I prefer the tried and true approach
4. He grew up with all brothers, I grew up with all sisters
5. He goes to bed early, I love staying up late
6. He loves documentaries, I like fictional series
7. He’s quiet and reserved, I’m talkative and outgoing
8. He holds in emotion, I show my feelings all over my face
9. He grocery shops for cheap bargain food, I prefer quality brands and organic
10. He’s always hot, I’m always cold
11. He loves small towns, I love big cities
12. He loves country music, I’m a mainstream, top 40 kind of girl
13. He loves whole milk, I only drink skim
14. He has a black lab, I have a less than 5 pound Chihuahua
15. He likes comfortable and casual, I love dress up affairs
16. He has a ton of common sense, I’m more book smart
17. He tends to live life as it comes, I worry, overanalyze and plan to the max
18. He loves to cook, I love ordering in
19. He cleans quickly, I clean thoroughly
20. He shows love through service, I show love through touch and words of affirmation
Phew… what a list! We are incredibly different, but it works. You know why? Being different pushes us to be better. Having different political beliefs forces us to do more research and to better understand our stance so we can argue it out. His love to cook keeps me from eating out too much. My book smarts work well for finances and leases and marriage paperwork, while his common sense and handy skills are helpful with road trips and home maintenance. We complement each other really well and it makes our relationship so much more fun. I’m not saying everyone should date their opposite… it’s not for everyone, but don’t rule a potential future lover out just because they’re different than you. That could be the one thing that makes them truly perfect for you.
They say opposites attract, sometimes… they also fall in love.
C’est la vie,